Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Tic'd Off

I was flipping through You Tube just now and came across a video made by two 14 year old girls. They were doing a spoof of a tourette sufferer.

I don't know what I was more offended by: The fact that they sat in their clean home, with Daddy's expensive video camera and used their time to make fun of people with real disabilities, or their horrific acting jobs. Oh, and how about the fact that women have it hard enough in this business without intentionally making themselves look bad.

I could have left a comment asking them calmly to consider taking their "film" down. Instead, I told them I hope they get super fat with tons of cellulite and land men who treat them like whores.

I'm a bit ashamed of myself, to be honest. I mean, I forgot to dish on their peroxide and poor grammar.

I don't understand this childish need people have to make fun of other people. Are they so unloved at home? Do they really have that little of a spirituality, or guidance, to teach them the difference between good humor and causing personal pain to someone?

I know I can't control my children's ultimate personalities, but I'll teach them empathy, kindness and respect if it's the last thing I do.

And the ability to get a great deal at a thrift store. Sensitivity, and the 50% off sales at GoodWill, don't happen over time. They're both learned gifts.

11 comments:

Liv said...

dumbasses. hopefully there's still time to teach the young and stupid to be compassionate.

meno said...

I'm not ashamed of you, i'm proud of you. But remember, being mean is often a favorite pastime of the 14 year old girl.

Liza on Maui said...

Oh that kind of video makes me furious too. I think I'm going to You Tube tonight.. find that video ...post it in my blog with a title "BAD GIRLS!" "MAY THEIR ACTING BE TRUE AND HAPPEN TO THEM IN THEIR REAL LIFE SO THEY KNOW WHAT IT REALLY MEANS" or something like that.

Kindness goes a long way. Making fun of other people's disabilities is also a NO NO with our kids.

Lynnea said...

I love your sense of humor. That even when you're pissed at full steam, you can still throw in the great digs and of course a good resale value.

Teaching our kids I guess is the best we can do to change the world.

Gretchen said...

Hang in there. Thinking of you.

Cheryl Wray said...

Good for you!!! It amazes me how cruel kids can be!! I have always tried to teach my children to be sensitive to others, especially those who are different than them. Knock on wood--it seems to be working so far!!
Loved your jab at them!!! excellent!!

Heather said...

A taste of one's own medicine, as in your snarky comments (loved them btw) is sometimes the best cure. Other times....no more impact than, "That is the coolest purse, ever!" Truly...things go in one ear and out the other.

And yeah...makes me pissed off too.

Michelle said...

that is sad that those two girls had to get their fun by making fun of someone with a disability and can't control their behaviors!

Susie Q said...

Oh wow...I have never understood anyone of any age having a laugh at someone else's disability or pain.
NOTHING funny. Nothing.

YOU have nothing to be ashamed of sweetie.

I would not have been as kind as you were. Of course, I am 51 and mean as a snake. You know those crotchety old broads? I am one now. Sheesh. Just turn me loose on 'em. Really.

Some people are just born missing the sensitivity chip. They never learn. They will be as horrible at 65 as they were at 14. Sad.

Others will learn, over time, and regret their past infractions. Thankfully more are this way. We need more parents who show their kids by example...that is sorely lacking in today's culture. Damn.

In lieu of saying anything profound and able to actually do anything, I send you warm hugs.

Hugs,
Sue

raqgold said...

this is real sad - i promise to talk more with my kids about respect and kindness. after all we wanted a beautiful world for them.

Anonymous said...

HELL YES. I would have done the same thing. My mother has a Master's Degree in Special Education and worked with mentally challenged children and adults for over 20 years. I was taught empathy, kindness and respect from day one. Your children will go further in life than those skanky ho's on YouTube ever will. WHEW. Now get me off this soapbox!

Wacky KD in S