Monday, August 13, 2007

To TV or Not TV

I'm attempting to find a balance in the whole toddlers and tv/computer deal, but so far I'm simply coming up with black and whites.

On one hand, sedentary technology causes everything from obseity, ADD, lethargy and tics. It makes me want to throw my tv into the local Costco trash bin quicker than Angela Jolie will adopt another baby and Brad Pitt will reunite with Jennifer Aniston. (Yes, I've always seen Brad and Jen together again. Why I even have an opinion I don't know. Too much tv, right?!)

But the other extreme alternative is freakville. I don't want my kid sticking out like a hemp wearing, organic growing, mama wears a sling and never shaves her armpits, never heard of Paris Hilton or the Sopranos, head of the non-online chess club and am best friends with the librarian" outcast.

Not that never hearing about kill driven shows or surface level trump fund girls is so awful. Which leads me back to my first thought on tv.

To TV or not TV? That is the question.


That's all I have to say tonight.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

As a friend of mine said the other day, whilst our children were mesmerized by "Stop that Pigeon" on Boomerang (some channel I've never even heard of--we don't have cable/dish).....

How much TV did we watch as kids?

Are we okay now?

It's all about moderation. But, you knew that...

Unknown said...

Moreover, Brad will end up with Jen....

Pam said...

First, let me say, I loved your previous post and am waiting patiently for my fantasy dream.

The TV question is a conundrum and is discussed in my family often. I've never thought too much TV was a good thing, I like to see children using their imaginations. And there is so much on TV that is truly bad, in many ways.

Then again, it is a part of our culture and kids need to feel like they belong and fit in with their peers.

I think a few, well-chosen programs can be a good thing but believe less is better.

Liv said...

TV. Dude, it paid my bills for too long not to love it. And I'm not ashamed of digging it. It keeps me company in the background, and my kids are not the sedentary watching types. They observe and bow to Dora or gleefully shriek, "Choo Choo" to Thomas, but then walk away. They are skinny, active, and have no tics. They are weirdos like their parents, but I haven't seen any negative effects...

Andrea Frazer said...

James - I agree with you on both counts. Thanks.

Pam - Thanks for the compliment on the sex dream. You crack me up. I knew you'd have an opinion like me with the tv.

Liv - This is the problem I have with tv. For some kids, it's fine. Like yours, not a problem, and if it works, I'm all for it. But for mine, it doesn't. At least not for one of them. He loves it, but he effects aren't great. More later. Thanks!

Rachel said...

my siter's rule is the "no screens" rule from 8 to 6. that is, no computer, tv, video games, etc... during that time. She says it works great. things get done, kids are more active and creative, blah blah blah, and yet there's no sense of deprivation. (helps that shes got digital recorder box, never have to miss anything during no screen time).

Could something similar work for you?

Liza on Maui said...

We are not connected to any network TV but we do have a television set wherein we watch DVD's. This is easier to control. We own tons of DVD's from Disney to Discovery Channel, etc. WE had the whole collection of Barney and Magic School Bus when my kids were young.

Kids watches TV on their friends house sometimes and we watch news on internet. We also subscribe to People Magazine for some added "gossips" ;). We read lots of newspaper and other publications.

Unknown said...

We never had cable when I was a kid, so my viewing choices consisted of PBS, PBS, or...the news.

I don't think I'd raise my kids any other way!

raqgold said...

we have a no TV day or sometimes, even days -- in which we spend the time making artworks, baking or playing.