Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Mommy's First Steps

There were tons of firsts today.

1. Pipsqueak was an official student at preschool. She marched right in, stuck her "it's a Barbie... it's a MOMMY gave it to me" lunchbox on a hook, plopped down with some blocks and never looked back at me. I know that secretly, beneath her kitty cat tee shirt, bell bottom flared leopard jeans and patin leather leopard mary janes, that she really missed me (while planning her fashion empire).

2. Stink went to bed without his usual negotiations of stories, songs and his favorite "who gave me that" game. Also known as the "let's stall and make Mama crazy even though I know the answer already" charade. Sometimes it's "Who gave me the star blanket" or "who gave me the Snoopy pillow?" My favorite thus far is "Who gave me that dust on top of the fan that you haven't cleaned yet, Mommy?"

3. I had 4 hours to myself. Alone. In the house.

I had to pinch myself to be sure it was really happening. At some point I stumbled to my SUV and headed south. I was convinced an alien had taken over my body and landed me in a foreign planet full of dusty, yet welcoming, landscape.

Then I realized I was in a thrift store.

And I'd scored this beautiful table and chairs for 25.00.

Then I knew it was me!

I had a nostalgic moment when I realized I usually have the kids jumping up and down on the plaid shaped sectionals or hiding under rounders threatening to get tetunus from a 1960's step stool haphazardly thrusting a nail at them, beckoning, "Suck me, child! Ingest into thy veins my rusty goodness!"

Predictably, however, realization tears soon fell. My babies are no longer babies. They pee on their own. They wash their own hands. They wear size 9 and 12 shoe. They tell me they love me and fall asleep looking like little angels.

Then I had a huge mug of Diet Coke. I didn't have to chop up the remaining ice for tiny mouths and visualize scenes of choking, the whole time thinking "what will I do if their airways get blocked because, really, I haven't had a real CPR class since I was 12 so I'm thinking that my emergency babysitting license is expired".

Bottom line: I got buzzed on caffeine and watched CMT. Heeee haaaw!

Congrats to everyone who made it through the first day. That includes you homeschoolers out there! Stories, please!


Pam said...

I have seen children and grandchildren on their first day of school and it is a happy/sad, poignant time. They are growing up, hooray! They are growing up, sob!

For the first three or four years that my youngest daughter went to school, on the first day I had to sit in the back of the class for a half an hour or so then quietly slip away or her shyness would get the best of her. It made it easier for both of us.

JaniceNW said...

Great bargain! Let's see, my 16yo got himself up and showered and dressed wearing his 75$ jeans(most I've ever spent) from way cool surfer website and one of his 7 pairs of sneakers and a way cool Nike hoddie my sil forked over the dough for. He left his phone next to me on the table. No cell phones at school until I see stright B's. and off he went. I blissfully slept through it.

The sad part~my almost 19yo drop out. Who still has no desire to finish his degree even though he can do it at the college I'm we wouldn't have to hang together. Oh puleaze.

Ben and Jen are dead Hollywood girl DEAD. Brad's ready to reimpregnant Angela at any second. Don't you ever read People? Snerk.

Gretchen said...

Drama and I had lunch out on her first 1/2 day of school, and today was History Boy's turn. We went to the Old Spaghetti Factory and talked about just...stuff. It was really nice. Most of my nerves have abated (about homeschooling), and I really think this will be good. He seems at peace, too, which is worth it all.

Hang in there with your babies! They DO grow too fast. Of course I never think this way in the midst of it! But it's true. :)

Dapoppins said...

The kindergarten teacher very earnestly explained to my child what would happen if he could not follow directions. First the thinking chair. Then a visit to the 1st grade classroom and another scary thinking chair far away from all things kindergarten, THEN a visit with the principal in the office, THEN a visit home for the rest of the day with mom, where he would have to sit and do nothing while MOM took away all his toys. She says this works the 1st time 95% of the time.

I'll bet it does.

I laughed when she said this...thought it was funny cause my child would be embarrassed to the core to have to just do step one.

Princess in Galoshes said...

On my morning jog, I had to dodge all the dressed up for the first day of school kids meandering in to school on their uneven new sneakers and nearly-out-of-control bikes.

Welcome back, kiddos. Now I have to get up 1/2 hour earlier to not have to steer into the grass every 15 feet to avoid new plaid jumpers skipping merrily on their way. Argh.

meno said...

My daughter's first day of school ever. She is all dressed in her little tiny skirt and blouse. She looks at me and says, "It's easy to make friends, isn't it mommy?"

My heart cracked, just a little.

Em said...

A lot of pretty cool "firsts" there...but being alone for four full hours in the house, now that is awesome!

Cheryl Wray said...

I LOVE it!!! Looks like you had a wonderful first day!
I work at home, but there are times also when I "cheat" and watch some CMT too. LOL
Two of my girls are in school, and have been now for almost a month (started Aug. 9; ugh!) Little Scout is still home with me. I can't imagine how stressful it will be when she goes to kindergarten (and she'll be going the same year my oldest is a senior. I anticipate that FIRST day being a cry-festival!)