Monday, November 26, 2007

Friends


Today I was shopping at Whole Foods with Mrs. V. As we scanned the bakery section looking for sugar free syrup, she whispered quite excitedly, "Look over there! It's Joey Triviani!"


Who was she talking about? One look made it all clear. There was Friend's most eligible bachelor, checking out the labels like the rest of us.


Oh my God! Like, he actually shops by himself? Where were the paparazzi! Where were the autograph seekers?


He wore dark glasses, so I couldn't tell if he was in a good mood or not. He was alone, so unlike myself, he couldn't chat up his Thanksgiving holiday, what to buy a mother-in-law for Christmas, the benefits of receiving flowers at the door from good friends, the taste of Gorilla Munch cereal, the differences between raw sugar and agave, coveted holiday shopping with husbands who took the day off (not mine), the outrageous price of yeast free bread (thankfully Mrs. V found me a box for $3.99 that you bake in a conventional pan as opposed to a bread maker - I'm willing to try it) school mom drama or the decisions to buy, or not to buy, our siblings Christmas gifts.


I'm thinking he could not have had as much fun as me. The celebrity life: it's so over-rated.
More of my writing can be found on Babycenter.com. I write under the name Andrea Frazer and can be found in the Momformation Section.

11 comments:

Kim said...

When I lived in Malibu (on the university campus, not in a beachside mansion), I saw celebrities now and then. David Duchovney (sp?) in the Pepperdine pool, Jennifer Aniston, Martin Sheen, Tea Leonni with her baby in the Malibu Country Mart, Cher at Malibu Yogurt, etc, etc. It was weird at first, since I was a hick from Idaho and didn't even get cable so it took me awhile to catch up. Truth is, I never was all that star-struck. I'd have for people to check out and judge my outfit, hair, make-up, weight, etc. all the time.

Gretchen said...

He is soooo cute. I think that's his job, and that's okay by me.

His Girl said...

absolutely wonderful post! well said, well thought... and true true true.

Susie Q said...

Ah but he sooo missed his chance to chat with one of THE most gifted writer in America!
And shopping all alone is waaaay overrated. I mean, you get out way too quickly so you miss all the neat little things in ALL the aisles like
Guava Mustard. I kid you not! And we are not even a cosmopolitan city!
And when you are alone and rush in and out you miss the freebie samples and laughing over all the fun wine labels and tossing a lemon at Daddy's head just because it makes Grace giggle so hard that her just purchased decaf latte mocha from the grocery's Starbucks spurts out of her nose. Poor Joey.

I wwould have so asked him, "How YOU doin'?" I bet he NEVER hears that from anyone.

Hugs a lot,
Sue

Kelly said...

That is too cool! We used to see Loni Anderson all the time because her daughter taught at the high school I went to.

His Girl said...

ps- I got the opportunity to leave you a little love over at my spot, so that I did. Congrats!

Pam said...

"The celebrity life: it's so overrated." I've always thought so, nice to see someone else thinks so too.

Princess in Galoshes said...

I think Joey lost out, not shopping with you. ;-)

We don't see too many celebrities, here in the Denver suburbs.

Liv said...

Oh, yeah, well Oprah shot her favorite things from my town this year. Boo-ya. Bring it, Andrea, because Friends....if that's all you got...?

Roberta said...

Wow. If that were me, I don't think he would have made it out of the bakery section without a good mauling. I definitely would have had to flirt within an inch of my life.

Dapoppins said...

When I was a kid and would see one of my teachers shopping or just being a person, it was like: OMG! It's my teacher! She is a real person?

Those are the only stars I have ever seen, oh, other than a local news anchor shopping in the mall...