Monday, March 06, 2006

Board to Death













As in floor boards. As we are still in the demolition phase of our kitchen/bathroom tile project. It's been a good three months now, and I'm at the point where it's starting to feel normal. Yes, like a wooden leg that at first seems odd, but evolves into just another part of your body to get you around, my five different layers of linoleum, odds and ends of hand me down rag rugs and shattered molding just feels regular. It comes down to perspective. Similar to that wooden leg (which I would make constant jokes about... "Got wood?" or "Rex, I want to to to dinner... Wood you?" ) I have decided to make the best of it and see the upside. Which is...

We have a tile guy thanks to Cecelia. Rex is pulling the final layers this week and I am ordering the porceline - 18 x 18 squares set to a checkerboard pattern. Sooner or later this thing will be done!

Of course, we currently have a toilet on our back lawn (James pulled it get the bathroom floor up) but...with no appliances in the way, it will be so easy for me to paint the walls a lovely shade of burgandy. I will also be getting my long awaited bead board. Between the chandelier above the crapper, the pedestal sink and the orange towels, the end result will be a cross between an elegant salon and a brothel - just what I've always dreamed of.

I suppose I could really get creative and make some extra cash with our bathroom. In its current state of wood boards above dirt, we could rent it out for Indian Sweat House rituals. I could put a sign on the lawn with my Cherokee Name - "Diet-Coke A-Lot. Then again, that would be really going out on a limb, and since I don't really have the wooden leg I speak of above, I'll stick to peeing upstairs and call it a day.

Well, a month. Cause that's when this project is done!

Any of you out there improving your homes? While improving yourselves or your spouses or your kids? (If you're just sitting on your ass eating Fritos, that's okay, too. Just want to hear from ya)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can empathize with you! I've been through 2 bathroom, 1 kitchen and currently a living room remodel. We have friends who have accused us of being constantly in a state of construction just to avoid having them and their kids over! LOL! I am, of course, ecstatic with my new, totally FAB kitchen, so I can honestly say any improvements are usually worth the pain.

p.s. I've been lurkin' for awhile and just wanted to tell you how much I've been enjoying your blog! Yer funny, grrrl!

Andrea Frazer said...

Thanks for checking in, Teri. Do I know you or are you a random (and very welcome) blog peruser? Curious if people are finding me through Google or referrals. Not that it matters. Well, it obviously does matter or I wouldn't ask. I'm just that egotistical.

Andrea Frazer said...

Cecelia may have a sink on her patio, but I'm sure she's able to make it look elegant. This woman can take a paper plate and make it look good. I don't know how. I think it's some mysterious gene Iowa folks possess.

Anonymous said...

LOL - if I recall I was randomly clicking the "next blog" button and wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles God took a tailor... oops sorry, got carried away... anywho, there you were!