Saturday, March 18, 2006

Giving Us the Finger

Last night, during a St. Patty's Day celebration at my mom's (great cornbeef, Mom!) Sophie kept sticking her finger in her green icecream. She'd then shriek from the pain "Finger! Fiiiiiiinger!" and thrust it in my mom's face for kisses. This would continue over and over again, as her determination for minty goodness consistently overcame the painful outcome.

How many of us do this? In love? In our careers? In our friendships? We know that the consequences of passion might hurt us (probably has many times) but we keep going after the dream over and over and over.

The cynics might say that makes us stupid. I believe it was Freud that definied insanity as doing the same thing over and over, getting the same results, but always expecting them to be different.

I choose to see the flip side: that in doing something over and over with the belief of a positive outcome we are living our lives with hope. And for you negativos out there, here's a quote to battle Freud 'Neither the postive nor the negative person is right, but the positive one is happier.'

Either I came by this view of life through sheer will for joy, or I can blame it on my mother who, despite the odds stacked against her, runs out twice a week for a lottery ticket. Then again, blaming my parent points everything right back to Freud, doesn't it?

It's a twisted, incestuous life we lead. I say we eat icecream and make the best of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen, sistah!